Thread Rating:
  • 25 Vote(s) - 3.64 Average
Tips for New Players
10-06-2012, 01:31 AM
RE: Tips for New Players
(10-06-2012 01:12 AM)garcia1000 Wrote:  I'm sure he made a mistake if he did make a Heavy.

Here is that replay in which p1noyboy creates a heavy. Interesting to see how he plays, though his opponent sucks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2012, 02:15 AM
That was a major mistake on turn 3. Boosted soldier would have been much better. The mistake is compounded because his opponent is using Feedback!
10-06-2012, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2012 04:59 AM by the duck.)
How ST play against claver in liege game?Huh
Sorry for writing 2 reply in a row but I forgot to talk about the "never create heavy" idea.
You see I play against player who create 2 heavy unit in the game and he did it in great timing and he also knew how to use them, the only reason I won was because I manage to snick Mobi to his base (and send a sniper to shoot the base)
10-06-2012, 09:04 AM
(08-09-2012 06:22 PM)Alvendor Wrote:  Some hard and fast tips I think are beneficial for new players. When you improve you will know when you can break them:

* Save the replay of every game you loose and review them.

* Value units based on how many wits are needed to recreate them in their current position. So a buffed runners that has moved out 4 steps from the spawn point is worth 3 wits.

* Never create a heavy.

* Attack as far away from opponents spawn point as possible.

* Put you soldiers in front and one runner behind them for vision.

* Never attack a unit unless you can kill it the same round.

* Put your medic next to your spawn point.

* Always boost snipers and specials.

IGNORE * Never have more than three runners on the map. IGNORE

* If you have 8 or more units on the map and are not currently in battle, save 3 wits to the next round.

I've grown a bit wiser since I wrote this post and think the rule about maximum 3 runners can safely be ignored =)

If there is a position where you want a runner on a tile at most 5 tiles from your spawn point it is usually better to create a new instead of moving an existing one, no matter how many runners you already have.

To see why, just count the cost/benefit in wits for each alternative and compare!

Soldier spam FTW
10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
garcia1000, GreatGonzales, the duck and anyone out there who might pick this thread of conversation up - I would like to encourage you to use a dedicated thread to discuss and analyze replays.

Now back to topic please.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2012 07:27 PM by TheQwertiest.)
kamikaze, is the first post updated? if yes,
-take advantage of the fog of war
-when you attack, its better if you position your unit on a hex where your opponent has to move inorder to attack you.
-use the pass and play to understand how the sniper range can be used on different obstacles
- the bombshell can no longer move once it shoots
- you cannot use the bombshell to attack your spawn space inorder to damage a unit around your spawn space. ( i dont know if this is a bug)

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
10-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Here is a helpful tip

Build units for what they are best at: Runners for vision, Snipers for power, Soldiers for versatility, Medic for healing, and your Special for game-changing abilities.
10-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Ok so here are my witterings / advice. I'm playing as a Super Titan and just made it to 32 in the top 100.
1) Soldiers are very efficient. They have decent attacking range and when boosted a group of 3 or more make a potentially game winning group when they attack in combination. If you cannot see a good move then just create soldiers and wait for a good move to appear.

2) always kill an opponents sniper if you can. It's worth throwing all your units to take out a defending soldier to get another soldier or sniper behind the enemy lines to kill that sniper. Snipers can do a lot of damage but they cannot outrun you and they are easily killed if you get in close. You can always see where an opponents sniper attacks from. Move a unit onto that square and the sniper will be in touching range.

3) take out damaged units that are hanging on with just 1 or 2 points left. Finish them off before they are boosted or before they attack you.

4) on maps with just 1 spawn space always try to create a unit every turn. The perfect move is to kill 2 opponents and create 1 in a single turn. That gives you a long term advantage by having more nits on the board. On maps where there is just 1 spawn square I win most games by simply killing enemy units and creating my own units every turn. 3v2 or 2v1 is a huge advantage on maps with just 1 spawn square.

5) try to avoid moving runners within 3 or 4 squares if an enemy spawn space. Avoid allowing your opponent to create a soldier to kill you soldier.

6) boost runners if they will be in range of enemy runners, but keep boosted runners out of range of enemy soldiers and spawn spaces where your opponent can create soldiers.

7) always plan your move and count your wits before moving any unit.

8) kill enemy runners at the start of your turn so your opponent cannot see what you do in the rest of your turn.

9) create and move runners at the start of your turn to give you as much info as possible - you might need to change your plan if you see a better plan part way through your turn.

10) if you play first then play aggressively. If you play second then be more defensive and you need to be more efficient with your wits.

That's enough for now. I'd welcome comments or criticisms.

Cheers
Bad Herr Day

I dream of being a Super Duper Titan!
10-10-2012, 10:28 AM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 10:30 AM by garcia1000.)
Those are good tips for intermediate to advanced players. However, this thread is meant to ease new players into the world of Outwitters, not give them rules of thumb which they will eventually realize are fallacious. So we have to make sure that any tips apply in 100% of situations.

A good rule to apply when thinking of an addition here is: Would my tip help a new player more than the advice 'never create a Heavy'? If your advice would help a new player less than that, then it is probably not good enough.
10-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Thumbs Down Great tips, got one of my own
This Is a really good page for those newbs out there. Also, I got a tip of my own. Play a couple of friendly games before you do ur league matches to get the hang of things.