One Man Left Studios Community Forums
Reducing Time Limit for Turns - Printable Version

+- One Man Left Studios Community Forums (http://www.onemanleft.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Outwitters (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Reducing Time Limit for Turns (/showthread.php?tid=2916)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Reducing Time Limit for Turns - onealexleft - 01-03-2014 04:35 PM

****EDIT 1-10-2014****
So after having the poll run for a little over a week, I've decided to keep the standard time out at 4 days as opposed to the initial 2, or the proposed 3. Reasons being:

1. Even with the low poll turn out, there wasn't a vast majority in favor of any particular course of action. Changing the time limit would simply alienate a large portion of those who *did* vote, not telling how many who didn't.

2. I'm aware that the voting on this forum may slightly biased towards faster play .

3. There is a good portion of people who play Outwitters differently, the 4 day limit allows for a multitude of different play styles. Ultimately, it's up to the participants who wish to play quickly to play quickly, and those that wish to play at a slower pace are free to do so. This is by no means ideal, but it's what I've got to work with for the time being...

4. Prior to the poll, for a long while there was an issue with the scheduling of timeouts on the server that made a lot of games last to 6 days. This has since been resolved, and all games should resolve in a timely manner. I can imagine that some that wanted a faster timeout simply wanted to compensate for this bug. Sorry about that!

After hearing feedback from regulars as well as new comers, there seems to be some who think that the 4 day limit is too long.

We initially decided on 4 days to keep the game from being too demanding for those that wish to play casually. We never really re-assessed post-release if it was a good fit or not.

Now that the community is relatively stable and have played with the 4 day limit for over a year now, what do you guys think? We're considering shortening the turn length from 4 days to 2. Games would go by twice as fast but still not require your attention for at most 48 hours.

An upshot being that leagues would potentially be more competitive/fluid as more results are tallied per season.

Please vote in the above poll as we're using it to gauge interest in the change.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - Chemoeum - 01-03-2014 04:46 PM

A lot of people are complaining that the turn limit is about six days due to a faulty bug or something. I actually wouldn't have minded that the turn limit is four days, but if the bug persists, you might as well change it to two days so that the bug can even itself to four days.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - Willi355 - 01-03-2014 04:55 PM

I would be happier with the middle ground. Change it to 3 days and I feel you will have a good balance. I usually get to all of my games once every 24 hours, but during some times like the holidays we are just coming out of, it may just exceed 48 hours.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - Torbreck - 01-03-2014 04:57 PM

I'm in agreement - the ideal timeout would be at the point that your in-game timer changes from "2 days ago" to 3 (may be an argument for 3 to 4). It may mean that some may chose to play less concurrent games , but they would also finish more quickly.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - Turtlepants215 - 01-03-2014 05:01 PM

I believe 3 days would be good. Every game ive played that was against a afk player didnt change turns till 6 days

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - onealexleft - 01-03-2014 05:04 PM

(01-03-2014 04:46 PM)Chemoeum Wrote:  A lot of people are complaining that the turn limit is about six days due to a faulty bug or something. I actually wouldn't have minded that the turn limit is four days, but if the bug persists, you might as well change it to two days so that the bug can even itself to four days.

Eesh, apologies for taking so long to fix this. Server is now fixed and time outs should happen on schedule.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - GreggA - 01-03-2014 05:10 PM

I agree with the others, 3 days would be the best option. 2 days might be too short.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - ElPared - 01-03-2014 05:13 PM

I also vote for 3 days. 2 days is too short as there are a lot of reasons a player could go 48 hours without playing, but fewer reasons a player would go for 72 without playing. 5 days I've always felt was too many though.

A lot of players on the forums have suggested adding a "blitz" game mode, and though I wouldn't use it myself, this may be an option to appease those who want a faster match

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - onealexleft - 01-03-2014 05:14 PM

I went ahead and added a '3 day' option.

RE: Reducing Time Limit for Turns - Torbreck - 01-03-2014 05:18 PM

I would amend my original vote to 3 days also - it's pretty much happens in the rules for all the tournaments also so fits nicely.